Music: It's in my DNA

It's Soul, Vinyl, Grandad
It's Soul 

Do you ever listen to music and it just transports you to another place? Suddenly, it's like you are trapped in a whirlwind of emotions. 

Conveyed via the vocals, the drums, or the smoothness of the sax. Music has always been a huge part of my life, dare I say, it's in my DNA. My paternal grandparents were lovers of music.

My father used to tell me how, my Grandad, would go off to town and come back with records of Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton and a bunch of other people he had never heard of. He would buy their music and set it on the vinyl and nod his head to the songs. Many of the songs were in a language he didn't know, but each time he'd come back with new music. I wonder what they meant to my Grandad. I never met him, so I couldn't ask him.

It's Contagiousness

My grandmother on the other hand would bop to anything pleasing to her soul. Unlike her husband who I was told wasn't much of a dancer, my grandma was a chest bumper. She had a way of heaving her chest whenever she danced. I got to see this as a kid, music just made her so happy. She has an infectious way of dragging you in to dance with her.

Her soft skin would pull you in for a hug as she patted your back, rocking you in rhythm to the song. From her native Urhobo songs to even our trendy Naija hits or pop songs, mama was always a dancer. Mama has this peculiar thing that I notice in my dad and even my sister. If you play a song they've never heard, within seconds, if they like it, they'd start humming like they were there when it was written.As for my dad prepare to have your favorite song ruined because he'll then play it the entire day, repeatedly never really getting the lyrics right.

It's Diversity, music is diverse

It's Diversity

For as long as my memory will serve, my dad has been a music man. As kids, he'd print out the lyrics to Don Williams and give everyone (except my mum and aunt, the spectators) their part to sing. We sang "I Believe in Love" so much, I now cringe whenever I hear it.

To my father’s credit though, he exposed us to everything we know about music; my dad would listen to King Sunny Ade, Fela, Oriental Brothers, Akpala music, and Fuji all in one day. He had the ability to switch from one genre to another. From Country to Pop, he taught me the art of storytelling and the amazing sounds of MJ, Janet, Mary J Blige, etc.

People would marvel whenever he played music, the Igbo men would say "this one na my brother" whenever they heard his "High Life" collection, not knowing that he didn't understand a word. Long car rides were always fun; dad always had queued up some of the most fascinating music. It wasn't just mainstream music. Dad also listened to instrumentals, classical music, Indian songs, German, Hungarian, and Chinese folk, yodeling (one I don't still understand), and a lot more. 

The studio, jam sessions

The Studio

With all his love for music, dad had one big flaw, he couldn't really sing. added to the fact that some part of his brain doesn't just store lyrics, hence the printouts. Yet Dad, would unapologetically, whip out the microphones, and fiddle with them until they sounded perfect. Set up the sound system and proceed to have full-on jam sessions lasting into the night, neighbors be damned.

My father has always wanted a studio, with soundproof walls equipped with all the instruments, especially his rock guitar. In case you were wondering, no, he cannot play any instrument. At every stage in my life, he has always stated how it was his dream to perform with me and my sister on a stage in front of an audience. 

Albeit his cracked voice, my microphone shyness, and my sister's stage fright, I don't know if that'll ever be a reality. But it would sure be awesome to gift him that studio if I could before he dies. Even though the jam sessions may have reduced, if you hear Ed Sheeran's perfect, or Lagbaja's Konkobilo on repeat anywhere, it just might be my dad on the wheels. Rumor has it he knows how to pull a crowd!!

wheels, DJ, Music







Can you relate? Is there anything you've come to love from your parents influence? Leave your answers in the comment below! Thanks for reading!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Find Calm and Reduce Anxiety: Strategies for Overwhelmed Individuals